Step 1 - Defining Your Own Strengths
Although it is a mistake to assume that everyone shares your interests,
knowing your own strengths are areas of expertise will help you
though the learning curve of developing your own product. For instance,
I have always been a bit of a health and fitness junkie, so my first
site was on Antiaging
II knew my existing knowledge would not only provide an abundance
of content but also help me distinguish between real competition
and clutter [junkie sites] in the market.
But before I went a step further, I completed a full analysis.
So start off by listing all the things you have done in your life,
and all the areas of expertise your family and friends possess.
Step 2 - Identify Needs and Wants
Find out what people are searching for:
- Make a list of keywords that define your niche.
- Check the number of searches on major search engines on Overture
Suggestion Tool or
- Filter out unrelated, duplicate and unwanted keywords to form
the Master List.
- Make a list of all the 3-word phrases used that have more than
5000 searches a month. Searches using 1-2 words are generally
Other Free Tools
Step 3 - Analyse Keywords for Profitability
Profitability is factor of Current Bids x Inventory x Competition.
- Find out current bids using Google Adwords Account or Yahoo
Bids. This is the price website owners are willing to pay to get
a good placement for their ads. The higher the Average Bid price;
the higher the potential earnings.
- You can sign up for a Free
Google Adwords Account Here OR use this external
tool without an account.
- Yahoo Bids
- Overture Bid Tools
- Check the number of ad campaigns - Higher number of Google Ads
= more competitive the keyword for PPC marketer = more potential
advertising revenue for Google AdSense publishers.
Step 4 - Preliminary Competitive Analysis
- Identify Niche Competition. The more high quality competitors.
You can define exactly what you want your Search Engine to return
using keyword:yourkeyword. Leave NO SPACE after the colon. This
will give you a number of result lists of sites and blogs using
- Use Google Advanced Search to give AllInTitle. AllInURL, AllInAnchor
Results. The lower the number of AllInTitle results, the less
competitive the niche
- allintitle: ONLY Results that have the
keywords in the page title
- aillinURL: ONLY Results that have ALL the
keywords in the URL
- link: Shows links to specified webpage
- related:Shows pages that are similar
- Check each sites Metatags, Keywords Used & Content Relevancy.
A fantastic FREE tool for viewing the relevancy of competitor
sites and their use of metatags and keywords.
- Check Google Page Rank Data - Top 1, 2, 3 and 10 ranked web
pages. Load Google Toolbar
- Check Alexa Position - Load
- To analyse keywords on specific pages - use this free
online keyword analysis tool from one of my favourite sites
- Webmaster Toolkit
- Build an Analysis Grid - Once you have your keywords, and competitor
lists, check out the top competing sites. Look for:
- General site design and content
- Alexa Ranking and Traffic
- Check Other sites linking to them - Use your Alexa Tool
Bar information box.
- Meta Data - what page titles, keywords and descriptions
- Subscribe to their Newsletter - see how they are communicating
with their market.
- Read through their press releases - get an idea of how they
have developed their company and products.
- Consider signing up for their affiliate program. If you
are really sneaky, selling someone elses product first may
give you more insight into how to develop a better version.
Give each site a total overall score. You may be pleasantly
surprised and find that although there appears to be a lot of
competition, many sites are poor quality and could be easily
Top Tools the Professionals Use
- Free Trial
Elite - Builds keyword and anlyses lists, Adword campaigns,
builds Adsense article pages.
Key - Builds and analyses keyword lists and competitors.
Step 5 - Learn About Your Customer
Understanding your customer, where they are, how they purchase
gives you more insight into how best to market your own product
or reach them, if you are planning Adsense Content Sites.
- Demographics - What kind of company is it
that you sell to? Is there an industry description that includes
size and location? For individuals you might want to find out
what kind of income level, gender or education, etc.
- Psychographics –mental profile of a
potential customer. What kind of values do they have? What category
of interests do they focus on? This becomes a buying profile for
the market when you can match a psychological profile to the market’s
wants and needs.
- Problems/Opportunities - Why do they need
your services? What benefit do they receive if they use you? What
is not working or what do they want to work better?
- Distribution of Your Products - where you
can find them. Where do these companies/people cluster? What do
they read, where do they network, and what form of mass media
is connected to them?
Magic - Ebook outining how to easily find niche phrases within
to Dominate Any Niche - Devastate Your Competition by Getting
Their Customers to Refuse Buying From Anyone Else, but You!
BONUS - For a Free Copy of Brad Callen's
Adwords Made Easy [3.32MB PDF] Ebook. Learning about
Adwords and Adsense is a great way to get an overall view of IInternet