Creating An Ebook
A quick overview of the process for creating and selling
- Define Ebook Subject
- Create Ebook Copy
- Publish Ebook
- Register Copyright
- Obtain ISBN
Defining Ebook Subject
Defining the subject of an ebook is one of the most asked questions
in ebook publishing. To answer this, I like the quote from fifth
century Chinese general Sun Tsu's 'Art of War':
"The army that chooses a battlefield that suits it's strengths
will win without having to fight"
The key is matching a key strength that you already possess, or
that you have ready access to, to a profitable market niche. This
takes some time, but by being methodical and doing a bit of research
you will uncover your diamond in the rough.
Create Ebook Copy
- Define Your Subject Scope - you don't need to write everything
on a subject, and will often have more success in concentrating
on a narrow scope.
- Create Chapter Headings
- Write copy for each chapter using 10pt Arial or Verdana. Use
short sentences and a lot of white space with separate paragraphs
to separate each point.
- Create HTML Pages - use standard HTML code for internal links,
images and external links. External links to open outside the
ebook should be set at Target=Blank.
- Create Admin Pages
- Introduction - a brand page with logo, book title, contact
- Forward - information on warranties, copyright, trademarks,
- About - an instructional page on how to use the ebook
- Table of Contents
- Add Navigation Elements - Back | Next | Front | End
- Save all files to single folder. Use index.html as page one.
- Compile Ebook. Publish Your Ebook - in either PDF, .exe, DLN
or other format.
- Test Your Ebook
- Send out sample copies to obtain testimonials
Although your work contains inherent copyright, you must register
your copyright should you ever intend to make claims for infringements.
- provides copyright registration for original works by writers,
musicians, artists, designers, software providers, authors, companies,
organisations and individuals. The service supports international
copyright protection by securing independent evidence that will
help prove originality and ownership in any future claims or disputes.
Also known as UK Copyright
The current charges for online registration are £35.00 for
5 years or £60.00 for 10 years per work. This covers uploads
of up to 10MB per work registered. Uploads over 10MB are also subject
to a charge of 2p per additional MB or part thereof.
For More Information
US Copyright Office
Obtain ISBN Number
ISBN is a 10 digit unique book identifier required to list books
in online book stores, libraries etc. Batches of 10 ISBN numbers
can be obtained for $US225 from:
Note: U.S. ISBN Agency, R R Bowker is the exclusive US source of
publisher prefixes and ISBN numbers for eligible publishers. Beware
of unauthorised ISBN resellers.
Obtain Bookland EAN [European Article Number] Barcode if you are
planning to distribute your ebook on CD-ROM. This enables the ISBN
to be directly coded into the barcode.
Next: Creating an
Ebooks Index | Planning
| Ebook Formats |
Copy Format | Publishing
| Create Ebooks | Ebook
Covers | Selling Your Ebook | Sales
Channels | Ebook Marketing | Press
Release | Ebook DRM | EPUB
| Ebook Stats