How To Create A Podcast
Creating downloadable podcasts is one of the easiest ways
to communicate. You don't have to know how to spell, you don't even
have to be having a good hair day.
All you need is:
- An audio recording software program - There
are many free audio recording programs available. I use Audacity.
- A microphone - the one built into your computer
will do fine, or use a cheap extension microphone or boom headset.
- An Audio Publihsing program - to save the podcast
in a frame or skin that includes the player buttons particular
format you want. There are also freeware versions.
Top Podcast Publishing Tools
Although there are many podcast publishing tools, the two most
Audacity - one of the top free tools to publish
podcasts and create and manipulate audio files for podcasts. It
is easy to learn, it also includes many advanced features, supported
by Windows, Mac OS 9 or X, and Linux/Unix. Download
GarageBand - comes pre-installed on Apple computers
or can be purchased for around $79. GarageBand is a full-featured
studio that records the audio AND manages all publishing steps.
See More Podcasting Tools
How to Create a Podcast
Audio podcasting tools compress, adjust and standardize audio files
for maximum clarity over small bandwidths, suitable for playing
on websites or streaming from a podcasting directory.
- Download audacity
- Create the settings you want - I suggest the 12db setting, 3:1
compression and attack time 0.1secs. Keep the standard Normalizer
- Hit record
- Add a track 2 if you want a music lead in and out. You can slide
these along so they overlap the voice recording and use fade out
and fade in to merge the three sound tracks [ Fade Out Intro -
Recording - Fade In Ending]. Your final track should fill the
bandwidth displayed, rather than look thready and scratchy.
- Save as mp3 file. Note the size of the file. You can also save
as other formats such as export to WAV or AIFF, depending on your
- Fill out the iD3 tag - its the only identifier that stays with
your audio track
- Open up Sonic Memo > Select a Player
- Upload to your blog, website or podcast publishing directory.
For a tutorial on how to put
your podcast into your Wordpress blog
NEXT: Podcast Interview
Back to Top
Podcasting Index | About
| Create | Interview
Guide | Graphics | URL
Flips | Security | Publish
| Podcasting Tools